Bossley Park Public School opened in 1890 with an enrolment of 22 students. The first teacher appointed to the school was Edina Henry who was only 22 years old.
The school was only opened for a period of four years before it was closed due to falling enrolments. It was felt that the students from the neighbouring farms could easily walk the several kilometres to the "nearby" schools located in Prospect and Smithfield. After several unsuccessful attempts by various principals and community members, the school was finally re-opened early in July 1900.
It wasn't long before the original school classroom became inadequate and formal requests were made to the Department of Education for extensions to accommodate the increasing numbers. The decision was then made to extend the verandah by 10 feet. Ironically the school's enrolments were to fall over the next few years and were as low as 19 in 1912.
Over the next two decades the enrolments began to steadily climb and by 1930 the enrolment peaked at 82 when it became very clear that the classroom structure was inadequate.
The building we use today
By August 1933 Bossley Park Public School moved into a new wooden building facing Marconi Road, which is still in use today. The original school structure was to remain until 1952 when it was demolished by members of the P&C. In 1955, the wooden building was extended by the addition of a classroom, an office, a staffroom and a storeroom. For the next two decades the enrolments remained reasonably stable and by 1960 the school had four teachers with four classrooms.
In 1960, a new double story brick building was constructed to house an increase in the numbers of students.
In 1987, a new library, school hall, administration block and eight new classrooms were constructed, especially designed to merge with the natural landscape.
Throughout the 1980s and 1990s the school population was to boom peaking at approximately 650 students.
In 2007 and 2008, the all purpose basketball court was covered and a large vegetable garden with rainwater tanks were established. Our many visitors comment on the landscaped gardens and the lovely grounds and playing areas.
In 2009, our hall was upgraded with state of the art lighting and sound which included full curtains, ceiling video projector, remote control screen and overhead stage lights.
In 2010, work commenced on a new four classroom block (Block N) which will replace our demountables at year's end. We have our largest intake of Kindergarten students for many years. We have a current enrolment of 343 students and 33 staff.
In 2011, Block N is occupied by our three Kindergarten classes and special program's class. Rain water tanks have been installed at the rear of the building and solar panels on the roof. All classrooms in Block N have been air-conditioned. Refurbishments were also made to the ESL room (Block E) and the Reading Recovery Room was refurbished and air-conditioned in Block K. The old storage facility at the base of Block F has been converted into an art studio and air-conditioned. We have an enrolment of 372 students.
In 2013, we have an enrolment of 429 students and 36 full time and part time staff.